Friday, August 28, 2020

Friday at the Arboretum

 Well I was determined to go, and so I went. I woke up early on the final Friday of August, and didn't go walking but instead prepared myself for my trip. By 9 a.m. I was on the highway on my way to the city of Arcadia to visit the LA County Arboretum. I'm glad I went.

There was no traffic, which surprised me. I was under the impression that this was Labor Day weekend but after close inspection, no, it wasn't this weekend, it is the first full weekend of September. Still, there is usually more traffic on Fridays, that has been my experience, but these are not normal times. It was light as I drove on the 210 freeway and looked for my exit. This is a familiar drive for me because this is the route I take to go see the annual Arcadia Band Review in November, and the arboretum is even located on the same street, Baldwin Avenue, but I had never passed by this entrance. I did today, and arrived without any contre-temps.

First thing to say is that it is huge. I walked in and after having my bar code on my ticket scanned, had to decide which way, left or to the right. I saw that they had beautiful desert plants to the right, plus there was a peacock on the lawn, so I went to the right. I am glad I did, the other way would have taken me to a lake and some buildings but, also, a dreary walk on a road lined with trees that were not picturesque and only seemed like a garage roadway. 

I went to the desert plants, and they were very artfully arranged. It was wonderful to walk there, and I went with the intention of taking plenty of 4x5 photos. I didn't want to start shooting them yet, because I heard that at the other end there was supposed to be a waterfall and I wanted to save my frames in case I saw something truly beautiful. (That attraction was a letdown.) So, instead I used my cellphone and my Fuji GW 690 with black and white film. I can return, I told myself, if I have film left after what I imagined would be the star attraction of the place (the waterfall). People by and large were respectful, but I made sure I kept my distance wherever I could. Susana Distancia, not the name of a female novela star but a guideline for how to act during an epidemic. Life in the time of Covid, I guarantee that if and when this is over, people will romanticize this period of our lives.

The arboretum is very well maintained, and I saw personnel tending to the plants everywhere. They weren't always wearing facemasks, but they stayed out of the way and if I had to cross their path, I did so quickly. There was a lot of sprinklers too, and they interfered with many of my photos. I had to dodge the water or else wait until the spray was in another direction so it wouldn't be too obvious in my photos. It was getting hotter and hotter, but it was still bearable. We are averaging temperatures in the mid to upper 90s these days.

Walking, walking, walking, and stoping to take photos here and there, mostly with my cellphone. I can take 8 photos on my Fuji GW690, but it took me a while to take them. I was not even using my 4x5 camera. Mostly it was cellphone photos. 

There was an area about mid way through the circular route, with small lakes and plant displays. There was one lake in particular where when you stand next to the edge and the turtles come swimming up to you, expecting to be fed. I tried to find good vantage points for a lakeside photo but there just weren't any. It is not a particularly beautiful lake, the trees are nondistinct, just a jumble of vegetation, and the lake water is green. I was sorry to disappoint the turtles, because I could offer them nothing although they gathered at water's edge just below where I was standing. I had a granola bar but thought I should not crumble it up and feed them because it might be poison for them.

And how was the waterfall? I followed the signs and found it (I think). It was a very, very modest attraction such as you might find in a landscaped garden in a back yard. Yes, it was quite obviously a man-made construction, not natural, and water was flowing only in the top rungs, the water did not fall down to the tiny pool at the bottom. It was a trinkle, not a roar, but maybe they were conserving water, so it was the ecological thing to do. I didn't even bother to take a photo with the 4x5, but climbed up the stairs (good exercise!) and stood on the little hill on the top, looking out at the San Gabriel mountains. I tried for a photo there but was not successful. It felt time to go.  

I walked and walked, and it was getting hot. I was there for 3 hours, arriving at 9:45 a.m. and leaving 12:45 p.m. I was bushed at the end and my shirt had very noticeable salt stains from sweat. A little embarrassing it was, but a good (and dehydrating) workout.

I did end up using all the frames of 4x5 black and white film, 8 frames of black and white and 6 of color Velvia film, but mostly, at the desert display, where I returned after having made the circuit.  I hope I captured the color. I left discreetly at the end to go to Pomona and buy lunch at Albertos.

After returning home and taking a nap, I developed some of the black and white negatives. Here are the frames, in no particular order. Note to self, next time you photograph closeups of garden displays in black and white, do NOT use the red filter. They are way, way too contrasty, and I do not like that garish contrast.


Garden display. Love the shape of the plants, and the contrast.


Not sure which display this was, but there was a problem with development of this negative. I think the back layer of the film did not wash away completely. I wonder if this is a result of an error in exposure (the back layer, or halogen layer I think they call it, is present in my 400 ISO negatives from last year, and I think has to do with underexposure), or with a faulty loading reel (maybe it is having problems since I have developed so many negatives by now), or maybe, just a result of old film (these frames are all Ektapan film which expired in 1994). 


One of the structures on the other side of the displays, closer to where the waterfall is located. There is a big lake nearby but it was not very photogenic. It looked like Fairmont lake in Riverside, to be frank, and that lake is not very beautiful.


The sprinklers were a real nuisance. I managed to grab an exposure as the spray was off to one side. Note to self once again, do not use red filter when sky is not an important part of the background.


My favorite frame so far. Bad idea to use the red filter. My negatives are all somewhat thin, despite the fact I was using 1/30th shutter speed (to compensate for the red filter). The Kodak Ektapan film is a real performer. 


Another display in the desert area, I think. Love the textures of the leaves. Remember, these are 4x5 frames, and I can't scan the entire area in my Epson V600 scanner, I can only scan a portion, so these are not the complete compositions. 

Well, I'll try to see if I can photograph something tomorrow. There is supposed to be a model event in Fullerton. I need more exposed negatives so I can fill up my negative reel so that I can process. I have two more frames from the Arboretum. The 4x5 color slides will have to wait until I can take them to get them processed at the lab in Irvine.

Photography is keeping me sane from the difficulties of these past two years. I still think of my dad every day, but it is getting easier. Now, I think more of my brother, and I wish things were not the way they are between us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment