Friday, August 14, 2020

Friday at the DMV

 No, it wasn't very exiting today. Besides the sizzling temperatures above the 100 degree Fahrenheit mark, and the feeling of discontent as we near the end of our summer break, I had a few urgent tasks to perform today. It was urgent that I go to the DMV to renew my license, which I had postponed doing because I wanted to be nowhere near the great agglomerations of people stick inside those abodes of despair and distemper. It is a given that going to the DMV entails great aggravation, but they do nothing to improve conditions. We need twice as many offices, but no, we are stuck with the same system we have now.

I arrived before 8 a.m. and saw a long line on the sidewalk. I wanted to turn around and drive back but I knew I had to try. I couldn't put if off any longer, I was not going to be able to obtain my Real ID if I went for the online renewal option, and I will not go back to the DMV if I have to, so I stuck it out. The line inched closer to the building, and there were a few inconsiderate people who weren't wearing masks. I had to move away from one of them. 

Well, to refer to the name of an Armenian-American band (System of a Down), the system went down, and we were stuck. I left, finished my online course requirements and returned at 1 p.m. Another long wait, but I was able to go inside and have them authorize my renewal. I had no written test to take, they are being waived, but still, they should have renewed and sent me my license automatically. I should not have had to visit the office during the pandemic. I worry, of course, about my possible exposure.

I didn't have a chance to do anything else today, but if it involved going outside, it would have been impossible in any case. I took care of some tasks then went home and took a longer nap than I was expecting to take. We need the air-conditioning. I am glad we got it repaired.

Now, I am hopefully planning for an outing this weekend, but I know the beaches and mountains will attract hordes of people. I want someplace solitary, but not too abandoned, someplace wild. I can't think of where I can go, although for my birthday, I will try to go to the mountain.

That's it. I'll post a few photos of my trip to the UCR botanical garden a few weeks ago. I wanted to go today, but I had my errand at the DMV office. I want to go to the eastern Sierras in the central valley, but I doubt that I can make the trip soon. The temperatures are just as bad if not worse on my way there, and I don't want to be in the heat. I might not even go walking in the morning to exercise as I normally do.

So, photos of UCR. Good night. Tomorrow it will be even hotter than it was today. Poor dad, he never got to have air conditioning at home. Everything makes me sad when I think of my dad.





No comments:

Post a Comment