Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Light leaks at the garden

In these days of excessive and oppressive heat, where light abound everywhere, I had a chance to go to the UCR Botanic Gardens last week. I took some 8x10 pinhole photos with Arista film, and have been wanting to develop them but have not been able to do so. Exhaustion creeps in and takes over. I have developed plenty of 4x5 negatives, but really, all the effort involved to develop a black and white negative for one image seems like too much.

Yesterday, after I had returned from my trip to the Norco Power House, I went ahead and developed a frame. These were taken in very bright conditions, and I chose scenes that were very well lighted. I exposed for 30 seconds, and I had two holders with me, the original holder sent to me by the person who sold me the 8x10 pinhole camera, and a wooden one I bought "on the cheap" from Youtube two weeks ago. Well, it turns out the wooden one is a dud, it has a massive light leak, at least on one side, and I saw that when I was at the garden that day. 

I remember this scene. It is a rose garden, and there are benches. I wanted a photo with roses and the bench, and there were no good compositions, so I forced it. I came up with something. I remember that when I wanted to return the slide back into the holder, I couldn't. It was sticking on something, and a felt lining was peaking out of the slot. I had to somehow force it in. Well, now I know, that was a massive light leak that was provoked. I don't know if there is a fix, but I don't think I will use that side again.

Here is the original negative:


 And here is the inverted image which, once again, since I don't have Photoshop nor Lightroom on this Mac computer, means I am inverting crudely with a simple program.


That massive light leak makes me want to hurl the wooden film holder into the trash, but maybe, just maybe, the other side is okay. I will see when I develop a composition with a rock in the forest.

Also, it makes me want to go out and purchase a much better film holder. The top-of-the-line holders are Toyos, which are still being made, but you have to be Midas to be able to afford one. They cost about $300. On Ebay there is a used one currently for about $150, shipping included. It is listed as in EX condition. I might have to buy it, especially since it comes from KEH and they are a camera reselling outfit out of Georgia with a long history and a good reputation. 

I have a class at 1 p.m. to teach, so maybe after I am done, I'll do something. I was going to try a new hike today but I didn't sleep well and I feel extremely groggy. In fact, the only thing I want to do is go back to sleep. 

It is 10:39 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment