Sunday, August 23, 2020

I didn't step out at all today

 I'm not proud to write what I wrote, but it is the truth. I stayed in all day, even though I had been initially thinking of making a short photographic trip during the morning. I did get much work done, I am ready for my classes, but still, it doesn't feel good to write what I wrote. The heat was miserable, of course. I had to turn on the air conditioning at 9 a.m., it felt that stuffy inside.

I read, that was good, and I worked on class assignments. I am ready for this week. Now, if only I can go out again. I am getting cabin sick again.

When the late afternoon arrived, I decided to develop a few more negatives. I loaded my holder with six more sheets and began working. They are from my Angeles Crest trip a week ago. I love the scenes, and love the way the negatives turned out. That film (Arista 200), with the developer (Clayton F76) are working well for me. As long as I had some empty film holders, I loaded some more Ektopan film (the one from the box expired in October of 1994). I want to use it somewhere tomorrow. Hopefully I can use it for closeup work if and when my Graflex lens arrives. It was supposed to be here on Saturday, but the mail service is still experiencing massive delays.

Here are some scanned negatives from my mountain trip a week ago. 


Once again, I ask, if you saw billowing orange smoke rising in the near distance, would you take the risk and still proceed to hike in the area? What am I missing when I try to understand why a group of elderly Asian women did just that but I felt the urge to leave? Are they that careless and daring, or am I just too easily alarmed? I was so certain a fire would be coming my way and I would be putting my life at risk. This is at the Islip Saddle parking lot, the one that took me one hour and a half to reach.


Love these shots of the trees and the far distance. These scenes are so close to home? All you have to do is pull off on the road (Highway 2) as you climb up the mountains. I was using my Travelwide with a red filter. I think I was using f16 on all my shots, also, 1/30 shutter speed. If I used sunny sixteen, and factor in two stop extra exposure because of the red filter, that would be 1/200 -> 1/100 -> 1/50 shutter speed. I guess I was right on. I also looked for sunny spots.

The Mormon rocks monument in Phelan, CA. These rocks are very impressive. So is the heat, this is a frying pan.


More scenes of valleys. I had to lift the shadows with the program I am using. I love the vistas, I guess you can see quite wonderful sights from just the parking area.


More sights from the pullout spots along the highway. Love the trees and open valleys. These will be a sight to see in the spring, I won't risk coming up here in the winter, not with snow. 


What was I thinking? I saw this hillside and felt I had to take the photo. Now, I know it was not a successful composition. I should have included more sky, I think. The fact that it is cut off on top makes it problematic.


Well, I guess that is it. I am ready to turn in. I also developed a sheet of 8x10 from my pinhole camera, but it is very thin, once again. I think I know what the reason might be. I think it might have to do with reciprocity failure. For exposures lasting several seconds, there will be massive reciprocity adjustments necessary, and so, a 10 second exposure might have to be adjusted and increased three, four or fivefold. I will try to develop some of the sheets of Arista 200 8x10 tomorrow. Right now, I have a sheet of the Catlabs film drying. It is a scene with flowers. It is thinner than a slice of baloney. 

Tomorrow, I need to walk, then go see the lawnmowers. Maybe in the afternoon I might want to go to another botanic garden, or else to the Norco Power House. But right now, if the heat is here as expected, I won't be going anywhere except where I can go in the morning. The heat is miserable, and it will be more of the same until November. 

Good night. 


No comments:

Post a Comment