Monday, August 24, 2020

The court house

 Funny I should have an image of a court house to share today, my mom had a sad encounter with my brother just a few hours ago. He is stalking her and it is not getting any easier for her. He needs help.

Well, after that happened, I needed to do something to occupy my mind. I decided to develop another 8x10 negative. I went ahead and loaded one from an envelope where I keep a few of them stored, hoping I would have an Arista negative, but when I put in the pre-bath and cleared the water, the same pinkish water came out, indicating once again that it was the Catlabs film. Damn. I had wanted to see how my Arista exposures came out, but it was not to be. I have now labeled that envelope with "Catlabs", to remind me to avoid it tomorrow when I develop another sheet.

This one turned out to be a scene I photographed a few weeks ago when I went to downtown Riverside. It is the county courthouse, were we are called to perform our jury duty. I have not been called in several years, but who knows, now that I had to renovate my license, Covid or not, I might be. However, something makes me think that jury duty as we know it will not take place during the pandemic. 

I used a much more sturdy tripod, my Slik tripod, and counted off exposures for two minutes. The scenes I picked were very bright. The negative that came up today was much better, brighter and with more detail. Here is the scan:

As we can see, it is acceptable. Now I know, exposure of two minutes in very bright sunlight will work for Catlabs film. Here is the image when I inverted (crudely) with my program at home.

Yes, I know, I can't really distinguish too much detail in the highlight areas. I think that is a function of the quality of the scan which is also, admitedly, crude. I don't have a dedicated scanner for 8x10 negative, I just use the bed of the scanner.

This is more promising, however. I can't wait to see what I obtain with Arista film. I will try tomorrow. 

That's it. Good night.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment