Monday, June 7, 2021

A few UCLA shots with 6x17 (pt. 1)

 And here are a few images taken with the 6x17 Kraken. As I said before, it was a long, long day. I arrived at about 10:45 a.m., and parked by 11 a.m., but didn't leave until after 3 p.m. I did the whole circuit, or, almost the whole circuit. I photographed the Murphy Sculpture Garden, mostly with my Canon T90 and slide film, and also went and photographed Royce Hall and the central quad area, also mostly with a 35mm camera, then went to the UCLA botanic garden, then walked down to Westwood. I took several rolls with color film, but also exposed two black and white rolls. 

The HP5+ roll was much more successful. I was using a red filter, and an aperture of f22, and a shutter speed of 1/125. It was a bright day with some clouds, so my negatives were fine with HP5+, but the only thing is that my viewfinder does not match up to what the film plane sees. My viewfinder is wider.

My Foma 200 roll was somewhat of a disaster. I was using an old roll that I had loaded onto a pinhole camera, so the first frame was already halfway wasted. I didn't take a photo of anything, it was just that I had forwarded it to the first frame, and when I decided to unload the camera to rewind the film and reuse, I opened the camera in my room and it exposed that part of the frame. The other three 6x17 compositions were complete, but severely underexposed. They did not scan well at all. I guess it confirms the obvious, 200 ISO is too slow if I am using f22. Think about it: if I am using sunny-16, then I would need a shutter speed of 1/200 at f16, but we have already established that Foma 200 is not really a 200ISO film, it should be shot lower. Also, using a red 25A filter requires two more stops of light, so that would be a shutter speed of 1/50 at f16. Then, if you take into account that I was not using an f-stop of f16, but f22, then that would take me down to 1/25. I think 1/15 might have worked, but then, say goodbye to handheld photography. Actually, I would have had to say goodbye at 1/100 or slower, so, the roll was doomed. I was exhausted, though. What I should have done is just remove the red filter and shoot that way. 

Here are three images from the Foma roll. Remember, these are very underexposed negatives, and I had to bring up light levels. 




 



No comments:

Post a Comment