Sunday, June 13, 2021

Visit to Balboa and Quinceañera Train

 Yesterday, June 12, 2021, I went on a little holiday trip to San Diego, CA. My objective was to photograph the Star of India saiboat on the harbor, but also, if my energy held up, to go to Balboa Park with my 6x17 camera and take a few photos there. Well, miraculously, even after my visit to the HMS Midway Museum, my energy did hold up, and I went to Balboa Park. Everywhere I went, there were photographers holding photo sessions with graduates and with quinceañera groups. Plus, since everyone is a photographer in the age of cellphones, there was just constant photographic activity everywhere. I tried to stay out of the way, but I am sure that I will show up in other people's photos. The thing is, if it is cellphone photography, 99.9% of it will never be seen again by anyone, including the people who took those photos. Photography in the digital age is a throw-away activity, it is a form of pretending to document your life by filling up your digital memory card but, in reality, no one cares about that material, not even the photographers themselves. I was heading in that direction myself except for the fact that I started publishing on social media, but even then, of the hundreds of thousands of photos I have uploaded, I don't view them ever again, so they get lost to me too. 

Here are a few photos gleaned from the end of the trip. It was close to 3 p.m. on a quite comfortable day, not too hot, but I was exhausted. I could barely take the next step, and I had to walk all the way to the parking lot at Inspiration Park. 










No comments:

Post a Comment