Saturday, July 3, 2021

Two infrared photos from Hidden Valley

 Here are two infrared photos from my walk this morning at the Hidden Valley Nature Reserve. I exposed at f13 (in between f16 and f11 on my aperture scale), with a shutter speed of 1/30th, handheld because my monopod did not have a screw that would fit my Autocord TLR (must be the 3/8th and not the 1/4-20 screw). I developed at home with my plastic reels in 11 minutes in D76. I obtained good negatives, not too thin, not too thick. Infrared makes even prosaic landscapes seem special.


This photo was taken towards the end, as I was walking back to my car. I know, I know, why use infrared film if you will not photograph foliage? That is what infrared photography is for, to catch the infrared effect on the leaves, and there were plenty of trees with new leaves, we are in the summer, but there were not any looking in this direction, and I knew the only thing that would be darkened dramatically was the sky. I did like the pattern of the hills.


This was towards the middle of my walk. I was shooting into the sun, but somehow, still got a good effect. Not in the vegetation, of course, this was the wrong kind, with brambles and bare branches, and to tell the truth, this looks rather like a regular black and white with a red filter to darken the sky. But I did use my infrared R72 filter on all my photos today.


This was towards the beginning of my walk today. This scene is not particularly noteworthy in regular light, it looks like something I would pass up 99 out of a 100 times, but I thought it would look special in infrared. Also, I wanted to get that cloud juxtaposed with the tree.  I like this one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment