Saturday, July 17, 2021

Visits to Botanic Gardens

 This is a followup to a post I made on Sept. 16th of 2020. In that one, I wrote the following:

"That is it. Tomorrow is Thursday, a busy, busy day for me. I know, only two Zoom classes to teach, but each one takes so much effort that I am drained. Next, I want to go to Descanso Gardens, which is supposed to be another magnificent garden in Los Angeles county. At some point, I will also go to the San Diego botanic garden. Now is the time, my goal is 12 botanic gardens of southern California before the end of this disastrous year of 2020. So far, I have 1) UCR Botanic Garden, 2) California Botanic Garden, 3) Cal State Botanic Garden, 4) Japanese Garden of Balboa Park, 5) Huntington Library of San Marino, 6) the LA Arboretum in Arcadia, CA and 7) South Coast Botanic Garden of Orange County. My work is cut out for me, but it is only five more gardens. I can do it."

 Well, we have now hit July 17th, ten months later, and I have nothing better to do, it is searingly-hot outside and I didn't go out at all except for a quick trip to a fast-food restaurant to pick up some chicken for the kids. Was planning on reading, but I don't have the energy.

I have been to many botanic gardens. I don't know if I have been to the twelve I set as a goal, but I will try to include a list, with a recent image, not all of which have been published. Here it is.

1)  The LA Arboretum (Arcadia, CA)


This is a Holga Photo taken from my latest trip to this garden, on July 3rd, 2021. I was using the one and only distinctive (and royal) Lomochrome Purple.

2)  Descanso Gardens (La Cañada Flintridge)


From a slide image with a 35mm camera. Can you believe it? I am back to using slides with a 35mm camera, in this case, my Canon T90 ("The Tank"). I was using my 135mm lens and old expired film I bought years ago from B&H.

3) The South Coast Botanic Garden (Palos Verdes Estates)

4) The UCR Botanic Garden (Riverside, CA)

5) The California Botanic Garden (Claremont, CA)

6) The Fullerton Arboretum (Fullerton, CA)

7) Sherman Library and Garden (Corona del Mar, CA)

8) The San Diego Botanic Garden (Encinitas, CA)

9) The Alta Vista Garden (Vista, CA)

10) The Laguna Niguel Garden (Laguna Niguel, CA)

11) Santa Barbara Botanic Garden (Santa Barbara, CA)

12) Exposition Park (Los Angeles, CA)

13) Gardena Willows Wetlands Preserve (Gardena, CA)

14) Huntington Library Garden (San Marino, CA)

15) Casa Romantica (San Clemente, CA)

15) The Japanese Friendship Garden (San Diego, CA)

16) Mildred E. Mathias Garden at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA)

17) The San Juan Capistrano Garden (San Juan Capistrano, CA)


No comments:

Post a Comment