Sunday, May 23, 2021

Walk around the city (pt. 1)

 I went walking yesterday, and took the scenic circle byway. About half way through, as I was headed back, I decided to start taking a few photos with my cell. Here is the first batch.




There used to be a famous restaurant called "El Yaqui", with a monumental Indian in a dignified pose. I should have taken a photo of that sign twenty years ago, it has been lost and, after going through several transformations, is a restaurant called "Los pericos", owned by what I think is not a Mexican family but a Middle-Eastern family. They still sell Mexican food, though. 


Another Mexican restaurant with a prop in front. 




The famous meat market. The sign was updated and modernized and made more palatable, the old traditional sign that I remember with the face and the crown used to be almost surreal, like a figure from the Cabinet of Dr. Cagliari. 


The cinema where we went several times when I was a kid. They used to show English-language films but, given how run-down the cinema had become, and the fact that the surrounding area was a barrio, they changed to Spanish-language. Here is where I remember the Cantinflas movies where my dad roared with laughter, scaring me in the process.


The cinema is now a cholo outreach center, they call themselves Covenant Life. I went in there once, it was not a big gathering. I went not because I am or ever was a cholo, but because I wanted to see the inside of the cinema and they had the doors open.



No comments:

Post a Comment