Sunday, May 23, 2021

UCLA Gymnastics from 1991

 This was my first batch of gymnastics photos, taken way, way back in 1991. It must have been during the first four months of that year, because that is when college gymnastics seasons take place. They were not performing at Pauley Pavilion because, perhaps, they might have been renovating it or holding another event. This was in the side gym, and as such, we the audience members were able to get very close. I took my Canon T-70 because that was the only camera I had, and I took 400 film, I think. I set it to automatic exposure, which resulted in blurry images because gymnastics action is just too fast and the gymns are just way too dim, so the camera set very long shutter speeds. I learned when I saw this first batch of photos returned to me. There was no way I could have captured the parallel bars or the vault, that is just constant motion. The only thing I had any chance at capturing was the balance beam or else the floor during slow movements. Here, I concentrated on balance beam, and as I recall, I was just a few feet away. I remember I saw John Lithgow,the famous actor who I remembered from the film "The World According to Garp", with what must have been his daughter, attending the event and sitting in the seats.





























No comments:

Post a Comment