Friday, September 18, 2020

The Infrared Look

 So I had purchased two boxes of Rollei 400 IR film in 4x5 size two days ago. I couldn't pick it up because of work, so I had to wait until I had a break today. I was anxious to use this film, and already had the R72 filter waiting. I had heard many things about this film, and even saw a comparison between this one and the JCH (Japan Camera Hunter) film, where both had a similar IR look. The thing is, the JCH film is not available in 4x5.

The first thing I had heard was that the film was extraordinarily thin. It makes it very difficult to load into film holders and into developing reels. It turned out to be as thin as they said it was, and the notched corner was difficult to detect by feel. However, I didn't really struggle, it goes in easily enough. The danger is that it will curl too much and pop out, but it was flat. It might be another matter in 35mm format.

The other thing I heard was that it was not true infrared. I don't know where the light cuts off, but you have to use a good filter, and what that means is that, if you are relying on looking through a viewfinder, you won't see anything. However, I have an external viewfinder on my Travelwide 4x5, so I can compose easily. The big problem is that the R72 filter is completely opaque, so you have to have to open up a few stops or increase exposure times. I chose to increase exposure times, because with IR, the focus is offset as it is (light focuses at different distances in IR than with visible light), and you need to have a small aperture in order to make sure you preserve focus. The tradeoff is that I was not using a tripod, so I couldn't really slow down too much if handheld, because I would risk another kind of blurriness.

It was a very bright and, yes, even pleasant day. (I would not discover that Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg had passed away today, and with Trump, I have no doubt he will try to ramrod another judge right before the election.) I went ahead and loaded the film and made some quick composures. 

I choose to use f16, and I set my distance scale as normal, and I went for an exposure of 1/15th of a second. They say to rate it at ISO 15, so in sunny 16, just use the inverse of that. I didn't bracket. Also, I handheld my R72 filter in front of then lens.

After developing the photos, I was very, very pleased with them. I want to go out and buy two more boxes of this film. This is wonderful film, although my photos are, to be truthful, a little blurry when I zero in on them (i.e. expand the view). I can do better to try to control that, I can use a tripod. I think I might also be able to get away with 1/30th of a second. 

One big thing I noticed: no violet smear on the negatives! I have been having that problem with the last batch of photos I have been developing for these past few weeks. I thought it might be due to several things, but I think I nailed it the last time, I think it is due to the poor quality control for the Arista 200 4x5 film I have been using. Today my Rollei negatives were clear, they had no violet smudge, and also, my HP5+ negatives had no smear. It is the Arista film, I think.


This was my first exposure with this film. I tried to frame the two buildings. As usual, with my 4x5 negatives, I cannot scan the full frame, only a partial frame. However, I love what I have, although the full frame is better. There I was with my Travelwide 4x5 camera, handholding an R72 filter in front of my lens. The effect is beautiful and otherworldly, just what I expect from infrared. I want to continue to use this film, especially now, during the summer, when we are being blasted by light.


Another view of the faux windmill, this time framed by the orange trees (which were full of fruit which we are not allowed to pick). The leaves of the orange tree were white, the other tree (whatever it was) either was not catching the light or was not suited for the IR effect. I love the mysterious sky and the white leaves.


Another shot of the satellite dish and the orange tress. Not the most picturesque composition, but I will find a better one. Truth be told, it was past 1 p.m. and I wanted to take my exposures quickly so I could leave. I should have made the effort to find a different composition.


I must have been feeling my inner Don Quixote because I took another image of the windmill. Full IR effect here. Can't wait to try out the film at other gardens.

That was it, I next drove to Irvine to drop off some other film (non-Infrared). I have loaded my film holders with more infrared film and hope to use it tomorrow. I am really upset about the death of justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg. 

For developing, I used Clayton F76. I loaded the film onto my B's reel and gave it about 8 minutes. Agitation (inversions) for about 20 seconds for each minute of development. I am very encouraged. And yes, I think I will try to buy two more boxes of this film. 


No comments:

Post a Comment