Wednesday, March 31, 2021

When I went to Egypt....

No, in reality, I didn't go to Egypt. I went to the Chino Complex, a small grouping of stores next to the 71 freeway. They have this Egyptian-themed monument by the side, meant to attract the attention of all the drivers and motivate them to get on the off-ramp and go to their location. It works (somewhat), they don't have hordes of visitors, but there are always groups of cars with passengers desembarking next to the location in order to get their photos. It worked for me, I have gone several times during the past two years, but this was my first time using my 3D printed 8x10 camera.

I went on an early Tuesday morning, and the lighting was right. It shines directly onto the monument. What was not right was my exposure. It was abysmally off. I thought, this is classic sunny 16, but I will shoot at f22, which means, I will have to adjust the shutter speed to have a longer time. With sunny 16 and the Foma 200 film I was using, it would have been 1/200. With f22, I should have used 1/100. Instead, I think I ended up using 1/25. That is what was marked in the notes I wrote, but I may be wrong. What is plainly evident, though, is that this negative is about one or two stops overexposed. I think in my mind that it registerd that I should use 1/125, but somehow, I dialed in 1/25 (I think). I guess the comedy of errors never ceases, although I don't find it funny, I find it worrying and upsetting. It is as if the diabetes medicine that I am taking is giving me brain-freeze. 




No comments:

Post a Comment