Friday, November 20, 2020

An 8x10 pinhole camera purchase

 Here are a few images of an 8x10 pinhole camera that I purchased. It came advertises as "For Parts", and I think that is why I was able to obtain a good price. 

The more I think about it, this might be a model from the old Santa Barbara Lensless Camera company. I had one of their cameras before, but it was a 4x5 model. I never used it, I had it in the garage for several years, and finally, sold it online.

This one looks to be complete. It didn't have a shutter mechanism, but as I recall, the old Santa Barbara Lensless cameras had a type of cork that we screwed into the hole where the pinhole was located (the pinhole is recessed). Also, it didn't have a way to hold the film holder flush in back, but I remembered that that camera had a dowel, so I went and purchase one from the hardware store and cut it down to size. It works like a charm.

I can't wait to try out this camera. It will help me forget the disastrous experience I had with the 8x10 point and shoot camera that broke on me within one week of my receiving it. It made me take a firm decision: if the technology is tried and true (and pinhole technology is very simple, and nothing could be sturdier than a wood box), I will risk the purchase, but no more printed cameras. That 3D material is very brittle, like crystal. It falls and it just splinters and breaks. I lost a lot of money with my printed camera. That was a fiasco. I am hoping this one will not be.

Will try to take a few images with this camera on Saturday.







No comments:

Post a Comment