Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Further up the Pumpkin Trail

 So in the spirit of Linus who would not desist, I continued climbing and climbing up the hill. It was a trial, to be certain, and I would stop and huff and puff and wait, then continue climbing. It was the feeling of not having energy in your legs to climb, that was what was stopping me, but also, when I had to scramble down, the fear that I would lose my footing and fall, twisting or breaking an ankle. I really need those trekking poles.

This is not Mt. Rubidoux in Riverside, which is probably just as high but which has well maintained paved roads that curve around the hills and take you up. Here, you do have to scramble and watch your step as you climb and descend the trail of loose dirt. For those moms who take packs of four and five year old kids up here, what are you thinking?

After taking some detours to look for better photo opportunities, I was back on track and I climbed up. In reality, I just wanted a clear shot of the San Gabriel mountains to the north with their cap of snow (from the weekend drizzle), but I never got an unobstructed view. I did see great aerial views of the suburban homes around the hill. Folks, this might be horsetown, but those houses are not ranches, they are suburbs like you see anywhere else. I am sure they are all Trump supporters, though.

So, I reached the pumpkin boulder, and it was surrounded by several dozen kids, and their various adult minders. By waiting, I was able to get my photo opportunities when the crowds dissipated. The one element I particularly liked was a big crowd of kids (and their parents) who were of Middle Eastern descent and who took a boom box and were playing their music. I felt safer having them around me because of that, not because I am Middle Eastern, but because we are minority communities, and I think I can safely say they support diversity, fairness, tolerance and just the recognition of shared humanity. Glad to see that in Norco.













No comments:

Post a Comment