Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Trip to Brand Park Memorial Garden

 Not to be confused with Brand Park in Glendale, this is the garden found next to the San Fernando Mission in the city of San Fernando, which is a suburb of the megalopolis known as Los Angeles. I have been here in the past, and a few entries back, I published photos from one of my prior trips here. Back then, around the year 2000, I was taking trips to visit the missions in the state of California, and while I haven't been to all of them, I have been to most. I still need to visit about half a dozen, and this garden is located next to the San Fernando Mission. The only thing is, I don't think I was able to visit all those years ago, during my first trip, and since then, now that I want to visit gardens, Covid has created problems. The mission is still closed, but not the garden, and I had to go back to see if it was still as I had pictured it.

Well, it is, but the lighting is not the best. In the noon sun, the lighting is not pleasing, and since they have such tall trees, it creates areas of shade which do not help. It would be better if we had side lighting, and the sunlight was illuminating from the side, to judge by the long shadows, but those shadows were created by big trees. I was there at about 12 noon, and if was very comfortable. There were many Anglos coming to walk through the garden while walking their dogs. 


The entrance to the garden. There was a homeless man living in that area, and he was coughing loudly and at times cursing. I thought the city would make sure to keep these areas clean, but there are other areas to the outside of the park where there are homeless encampments. The homeless are everywhere, and if I were to use the tag line of a cheesy Hollywood film, I would add, "and they are us!". But seriously, the homeless problem is gigantic, you see homeless settlements everywhere, in my city (the city called Crown), in Los Angeles (I saw them when I went downtown), in Orange County, everywhere. 


Another view of the front entrance.


These arches wall off the San Fernando Mission. I had no luck visiting this location today, it was still closed because of county restrictions. 


This fountain is one of several in the park. I took infrared photos, but what I don't like are those tall, spindly palm trees. If I cut off the top (which is very high), it ruins the photos because all we see are straight lines in the frame. Also, you can see, there are big shady areas. I can move around and try to frame from another angle, but if I had moved to the other side of this fountain, all I would see would be a metal frame entranceway with the street on the other side. So, here at least I had the garden in the background.


Love these paths, but those tall palm trees ruin it for me.



It is a jumble of vegetation at times. And yes, in and amongst the plants, including roses, there are citrus trees. 


Those shady areas! There are trees that block off areas of sunlight. 





No comments:

Post a Comment