Sunday, November 8, 2020

Next to Olvera Street in downtown Los Angeles

 Well, I couldn't go to Chinatown without visiting Olvera Street. They are next to each other, and it is an easy walk. Just cross the street.

First, I have to say, it was very comfortable by now. Yes, the wind was cold but I was wearing a sweater and the sun was out and there was no threat of rain. Also, I was seeing new things! For the first time I located the famous Bracero monument I had heard about, a tribute to the bracero workers who came from Mexico to supply much-needed agricultural labor for the United States while they were fighting the Second World War. My grandfather was a bracero, so it meant much to me. Of course, the fact that it was erected by disgraced LA councilman Jose Huizar, who is being charged with corruption, is something I can't forget, but his disgrace is not our disgrace. It is just that Huizar made sure he featured his name prominently on the plaque.

Second, there are a ton of homeless people still camping out on the sidewalks. I wonder how they will endure the cold in those tents, they will have to find shelter in some kind of building. One made sure to cough extra loudly as I walked by, and I obliged by leaping into the street as I walked by.

Third, there was a light turnout. Yes, there are people at Olvera Street, but nothing like the bustling crowds of the past. However, at least it is active, and if they, the merchants, are being made to pay rent to the city while the pandemic is raging, they should at least have a chance to earn a living and be allowed to open their stalls and make some sales. And there were people walking around, most of them wearing face masks, which makes me proud of Los Angeles, because they are at least more conscious of the risks and more considerate of other than some redneck types out in the place where I live, who go into markets with nary a mask.

And finally, I still have not tried the taquitos from Cielito Lindo at Olvera Street. They are supposed to be other-worldly, but I know that is part of the tourist spiel. They can't be that great, I have had taquitos and I know, they are not mole which requires a special knowledge in spices and preparation, they are just tortillas wrapped around meat and fried. What's the deal? But I have read on Yelp account that the taquitos at that place are also, way, way, way too expensive. I can't opine authoritatively until I try them, but today was not the day, there was a long line, and if I can use that information in any way, I hark back to what I wrote before: a long line is a recommendation.


Finally I see the bracero monument.




This mural is on the side of the church that is located across the street from Olvera Street. There were many, many, many "velas" lit there (velas are candles), and everyone walked by with devotion. 


The church across the street from Olvera Street. Normally they would have had a busy session of baptisms and communions, I think. It was quite calm today, I hardly saw anyone there.


One of the entrances to Olvera Street. Where is everybody? 



Stature outside of Olverita's store, a place that specializes in folk items. I took many photos of the interior once, would love to have gone in again to see how the inventory has changed, but not today, not during a pandemic. Closed quarters are to be avoided. 


Doesn't look like much of a line, but they were socially-distanced. This is the place famous for taquitos. One day I will try them, although I fear they will not live up to the tourist hype. But you can't say you have been to Olvera Street if you have not tried taquitos from Cielito Lindo.


Leaving Olvera Street to return to Chinatown. This is within eyeshot of Cielito Lindo, but just cross the street, and you are in a different ethnic space. Not that you could tell from the businesses.


No comments:

Post a Comment