Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Comparing two 8x10 pinhole cameras

On Monday, Nov. 23, 2020, I was able to go to Santa Fe Springs to take a few images. I wanted to go to see if I could take more photos with my new 8x10 pinhole camera and repeat a few shots I had taken before when I was using my old 8x10 pinhole. I want to compare the two cameras, although right off the bat, I can say that the pinhole allows for much quicker exposures on my new camera. The images are sharper. Still pinhole fuzzy, but sharper than what I was obtaining before.

I went to Santa Fe Springs Heritage Park in the city of Santa Fe Springs, CA (nowhere near New Mexico, this is California). I wanted to photograph this little pond and waterfall. It was a shady day, so there was less light than when I photographed it with my old pinhole camera. Still, it was the same type of film, Arista 200. I set up the camera in the same location, but this time, I only exposed for 120 seconds, not for ten minutes, which is what I had done with the other camera.

There was very, very little breeze, but still, it was there, so I am sure that might have affected the image a little. Also, there were people passing by. This new 8x10 pinhole camera is extraordinarily wide, and it doesn't cover the entire negative, it is an image circle. Also, you will notice the light leak at the bottom, which, of course, corresponds to the top of the film holder, where I remove the slide. I am pretty sure that when I remove the dark slide I let in a little light because the film holder moves back a little. I think I need a second dowel in the back to help keep the film holder firmly in place. What a hassle.

Still, I am very, very impressed. This was only a two minute exposure, not the interminable exposure I needed for the first pinhole camera! And, to my eye, it is sharper. And, this was a dull day, not the bright day we had when I took the first image a few months ago! So, I am very pleased with this camera. I can live with the incomplete coverage, and I will find a way to address the light leak. But the image is better. If I had had this camera months ago, I am sure I would not have made that ill-fated purchase of the 3d printed 8x10 camera. It was a waste of $700. This pinhole was won with a bit of $69, and add another $30 for expedited shipping, and considering that it came with a Fidelity Elite 8x10 film holder which along would go for that price, and which seems to be in good condition (I will find out today when I develop a negative taken with that camera), and I am happy at the deal.




No comments:

Post a Comment