Saturday, December 5, 2020

A study in violet (or purple): Olvera Street and Los Angeles

 And here I was spending so much money at Freestyle yesterday to buy 10 rolls of Lomochrome Purple when I could have used what I already had.

Well, I don't think it will be the same. First of all, this is from a roll of JCH Streepan 400, which costs the same, I recall, as the Lomochrome specialty film (about $12 for a 120 roll). So, it is not as if I would be saving money. Also, the Lomochrome is not infrared film, while the JCH Streetpan is (if used with an R72 filter), so the look of Lomochrome purple will be different, without the dark skies and the bright highlights on the foliage. 

Also, I understand that the Lomochrome will still preserve other colors such as red, so not everything will be purple. Still, when I look at these photos which I scanned tonight, from a roll I picked up earlier this week at the lab in Irvine, and which I edited to remove some (not all!) dust spots, and increased exposure, and added the color filter, they do look a lot like the sample of Lomochrome I have seen shared on the web. Now I am really curious to see what look the Lomochrome will give me.

These photos are of a trip I took to downtown Los Angeles to visit Chinatown and Olvera Street in early November. That was so long ago, and yet, it seems like yesterday. It seems long ago since I have gone and visited so many other places since then in this madcap, frenetic pace I have set of visiting gardens and locations. It is like yesterday because, well, I still have the impressions fresh in my mind. I remember it rained, I remember I had just about cancelled my trip when I saw the clouds clearing up at mid day, and I remembered that I was very curious to visit downtown. (As I write this the neighbors are playing loud salsa. I don't know which household it is, but if they are playing salsa, they must be Central Americans. I have not heard one banda or mariachi song at all, so they are Central Americans. In the corner house where the Vasquez family used to live way, way back when we moved into these houses, in the mid 70s.)


This is the kiosk at Olvera Street. Empty because the entrances have been closed off. Normally, there would be some karaoke singer on the stage, or else, the Ecuadorian man who plays his zampoña. I have seen Jenni Rivera's father singing there as well. He actually has a great voice.


This is on the walk as I am returning to Chinatown from City Hall. Love the look of the clouds. This is what was left after the rain we had that morning. Of course, now they say we will have La niña conditions for the winter, with next to no rain. It will be a shame.


This is city hall. There was almost no one here! They also had part of it cordoned off and closed. The day before there had been a big protest to support the results of the national election. As I write this, on Dec. 5th, Trump and his team are still trying to steal the election, but the electoral college will meet on Dec. 15th and ratify the election. After that, one more month of malevolence and incompetence before we get rid of a failed president who damaged our country so thoroughly.


This was taken as I was walking from Olvera Street to City Hall. The freeway is, of course, the 110 freeway. There used to be murals visible on the walls...what happened? The murals were from the 1984 Olympics and they had been tentatively restored, but I didn't see them. Maybe I just wasn't looking. Love the clouds in the background. 


Why, oh why, did I take this lousy photo? Just too trigger-happy, I think. I wanted to get another photo as I was walking through the downtown park that faces city hall. 


This is the post office building on the block next to Union Station. It is an impressive building on its own, rendered more memorable by the use of an IR film. I have never been inside that place. Where I was standing was the edge of Olvera Street, close to the much-hyped restaurante called Cielito Lindo which specializes in taquitos. I have never tried those either, nor have I been to Phillipes, the famous places with the French Dipped beef rolls. 


Well, what can this be? Of course, Union Station! I tried to get it from a central location. I wanted to go inside since it has such an impressive architecture, but no, not now, not during a pandemic when we are supposed to avoid crowded indoor spots, and since this is the transportation hub for trains which come and go from Los Angeles, as well as the metrolink system, no, there would be way too many people inside.


The building on one corner of the alleyway for Olvera Street. I have taken photos throughout the years of this building. Next door is a smaller building that has a plate that says "Mexican Consulate". It has these wonderful murals by Leo Politti. Love the moorish feel of the cupula on this building.


No comments:

Post a Comment