Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Return to Heritage

 Well, I was insistent upon driving to Freestyle today to buy some more film. The store will be closed for the rest of the week due to the holidays, and I want to have a good supply in case I decide to go on a massive photographic spree. Call it serial shooting, but of film, of film! So, I drove once again to Santa Fe Springs.

There is much work being performed on the Interstate 5 freeway. I know that highway as a perennial traffic jam, just like the stretch of the 91 freeway that leads into the Inland Empire. But it wasn't too bad, I managed to make it by noon. Things seem very quiet.

After another massive expenditure of about $360 (there goes my stimulus money!), I drove to Heritage Park. There were people on the grass without masks, and also, others feeding squirrels at the entrance. What is the matter, are they invulnerable? Well, they were young, so they think so. I am not.

I walked in with my tripod and composed my shot. Such a waste of time, now I know it. I cannot mount the tripod release plate to my camera. It just does not go in, it cannot hook onto the threads in the bolt. But I tried, saying to myself, if it falls, it will fall on grass, not on concrete. And lo and behold, the camera fell on the grass. I inspected it quickly, but the grass and dirt provided enough padding for the impact. No cracking sounds were heard, and I tested the shutter, and it worked. So, carrying my tripod was a complete waste, but I was determined to get the shot. I handheld the camera, attached my cable release, and took this shot.



There is vignetting in the corners. When I move up to a "real" 8x10 camera, I will hopefully be able to eliminate this problem, but it has to do with the lens, not the camera. My Schneider 121mm lens barely has an image circle adequate for covering 8x10. It will do so at f22, so I have to get used to using this aperture, not "sunny 16". I was happy with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment