Wednesday, December 30, 2020

CA Death Toll from Covid for Tuesday

 This morning when I got up I did what I normally do, which is check the Twitter Feed that offers Covid coverage for California. They feature reports from a reporter for the Los Angeles Times, links to articles in journals and magazines (such as the Atlantic and the coverage provided by reporter Ed Jong), tweets by doctors and by the California governor's office. And I encountered a very startling figure. This item said, there were 442 deaths from Covid on Tuesday. That was extraordinary, and didn't seem real!


How could it be?! Why were there no screaming headlines? Who can put up with such a death toll and consider it normal? Might they have transposed the numbers, was it not 244 instead of 442 errors? Then I checked in the Worldmeters log of Covid deaths and found this:


It was a total of 430, not the 442, but still extraordinary and in the range of the prior, abysmally high figure. I can't believe it, so many deaths. We cannot normalize this, we cannot accept it, this cannot continue, and yet, when I drive, I see far too many people who are casual about not wearing masks, and who walk on the sidewalks or else loiter in parking lots without masks. I saw it today, when I went to Home Depot to buy an item. So, it really worries me.

What was the death toll for today, Wednesday, Dec. 30th? This is what Worldmeters published:




It seems like a dramatic reduction. Will it be changed again to reflect an astronomical death toll? How can we go from over 400 to a little over 100? I know that they have an artificial ending time, it is I think Geneva time, while we still have about six more hours to go until the end of the day (it is 5:20 p.m. as I write this). 

I can't get it out of my head: over 400 deaths in one day in one state, our state, California. All from Covid.


No comments:

Post a Comment