Wednesday, December 2, 2020

The Mission of San Buenaventura, at Ventura, CA

 Here is a photo of the Mission SanBuenaventura in Ventura, CA. I passed by there on my way to the Botanic Garden in Santa Barbara, CA, over a month ago. I had never been to this mission, as I wrote before, I confused it with another building a short distance away. This is a rather modest mission, without the seeming grandeur of the facades at San Luis Rey (the "King of Missions" in Oceanside, CA) or even San Gabriel or San Diego.

The inside quad area is in shade, so I really could not find good lighting. Shade equates to flat lighting, and it is worse when you have patches of bright sunlight lighting up some areas. Either you focus in on one small area, or just not take a wide angle photo. Plus, they had plastic chairs everywhere. Since services cannot be held inside the church, they have to hold them outside, so the quad area when I visited (which was during the week) were congested with chairs. Not many people, just a few. 

I was using JCH Streetpan 400. This films really is not suitable for architecture, infrared needs vegetation. The only thing it did here was darken the sky, and lighten a few bushes in pots and planters. It really was not an appropriate film for this building.

Of course, behind me, there was a grassy area and big trees, and that would have been a better subject, but there were homeless people camped out here and there. As I was leaving this building, I saw one homeless woman ride up in a bike and sit next to the fountain, thus I didn't take the last shot I wanted to take, with the fountain in the foreground of the church. Nothing I could do.

I'd like to try this with a different film next time. When I think about it, the allure of infrared is quickly fading. I was going to buy a whole pack of film, but now, I really don't want to do so. I will instead try to explore with Lomochrome Purple C-41 film (when I can get around to buying some), or else, it is far time I started using my supply of Acros Black and White. Also, I have not shot with my Minolta Autocord in a long time.

This photo below was taken with my Fuji GW690ii.



No comments:

Post a Comment