Saturday, December 5, 2020

Back to the Huntington Library

 Here are a few photos of my return trip to the Huntington Library Gardens. I had gone a few months ago, when we were still in the throes of summer, and I had been thoroughly enchanted. There is so much to see at this place, and one can't possibly take it all in in one visit. Plus, with the transition to fall, the trees change color, so I wanted to have a chance to see and photograph this.

So, since I had concluded with my teaching assignments, and only have final exams to administer and grade, I decided, it is now or never. Los Angeles is in lockdown again due to rising Covid cases, and we are strongly advised to shelter in place once again and avoid all non-essential travel. Still, people are so fed up of the lockdown, including myself, that they don't really pay attention. We are all yearning desperately for a return to some kind of normalcy, and I wanted, furthermore, to celebrate having concluded with my semester. Well, almost. There is still the bitter end, but this time, it won't be so bad. All my grades are in Blackboard, all I have to do is grade the final exams and then, prepare the term grades. 

I left at about 10 a.m. and drove to Santa Fe Springs to pick up some supplies at Freestyle. The 71 freeway was closed, and I was told it was because of a fire, but it turns out, I think they were just doing maintenance. I went to Freestyle and ordered some supplies including 10 rolls of Lomochrome Purple. I really want to use this special film, although it is costly, running at $11.90 per roll. Much more than black and white or color film, but it is a special film with special effects. I can't wait to get that roll back.

I arrived at about 12 noon, and began my walk. This time, I was taking another route that took me directly to the Chinese garden. 


This is a statue one encounters shortly after having my ticket scanned. I think it looks like an oil rig, unfortunately.


This stature is in the Chinese garden, and it reminds me of Salvador Dali. I spent so much time in this particular garden, one that I had missed in my first trip to the Huntington. It is amazing, and it is expanding. I saw construction of new pathways, and also, signs that announced buildings would be opening in 2021.


The Gingko trees in the Japanese Garden. Wow, they were just too beautiful. 



This is at the other end, once I had left the Japanese garden. Light was falling, it was getting close to four o'clock and I was dragging my feet. I wanted to make it for another 30 minutes, but I just couldn't. I had to start thinking about winding down.


Hey, what is this photo doing here! It is a photo I took in Claremont at a Día de los Muertos celebration on Nov. 1st. So be it, the photo crept in here among my Huntington Library photos, and I will let it be.


There are many Renaissance statues in one section of the garden. I wonder what you call this corridor of statures lined by trees and fronds? There was a fountain here too.





An Asian cosplayer and her mom were taking photos here. I had to sneak one in.



Now I am on the way out, and I passed by this fountain again. I was exhausted and had to make it back to my car. I was hunched over and could have used a golf cart ride.




Okay, that is it, I am ready to leave. I will return in a few months, I want to be paying at least a seasonal visit to the gardens (Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring) from now on. What a beautiful outing!


No comments:

Post a Comment