Tuesday, December 29, 2020

The Covid death toll for today...

 ...is not pleasant reading. It remains a shocking figure, and it seems to be ramping up. And, since I was feeling so much cabin fever having not gone out of the house in the past three days, I needed to get out and drive around. There are plenty of people circulating on the sidewalks and visiting parks (I went to one to get a good view of the San Gabriel mountains which are covered by a cap of snow due to the rain we had yesterday), and what do I see? Almost no one wearing a face mask. Young, old, Latino, Anglo, no face masks. I drove home and stopped off at a gas station to fill up my tank, but while sitting inside, I saw that none of the other drivers pumping gas into their cars had face masks. I decided not to pump gas and instead drove away. I know, I know, Covid fatigue and frustration has set in, people were trying in the first few months and we seemed to avoid the worse case scenario (which was New York back in April), but now, people are seeing a dramatic surge again and they probably think, all the sacrifice was for nothing, they are tired of feeling shut in, and they just are not wearing masks anymore. 

The news is grim.




No comments:

Post a Comment