Saturday, October 10, 2020

Model photography

 Yes, I know, it is a constant that when I want to publish photos from over 10 years ago, I want to open it by saying, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...". It is just that nothing combines fantasy and science fiction the way that opening phrase does, and it appeals to my two favorite genres. I may not like Star Wars now, and in fact, I try to do my best to avoid the movies, since I feel they have become overly-commercialized products meant for a less discriminating younger audience, but at some point, I can't escape the influence of that first time back in 1977 when I saw the movie.

I used to belong to several photo clubs in the past thirty years. It was not a big constant in my life, I would participate at times but then, keep my distance. They were clubs that invited amateur models to come and have their photos taken, and the winners would receive prizes based on popularity votes among the attending photographers. There were many good experiences there. 

While combing through a box of photographic materials wishing as I did to find my rolls of Fuji Neopan Across 120 size, which I didn't find because they have joined my Super Angulon 90mm and disappeared down into the black hole of loss items, I did find a 35mm roll. It is a series of photos taken with Ilford XP-2 film, and I think I only had it developed in the last two years. It was languishing, waiting to be scanned, but I had no motivation to do so. I wasn't motivated on Friday night either, but I did so because I didn't feel like turning in yet. 

I always loved this film. Back then, twenty years ago, film was still king, and one could take a roll to a drug store or Walmart and have it developed for about $5 in one hour. There were many, many, many one-hour photo installations, back in the heyday of film, but it was for C-41 film, not black and white. The thing is, with this film, it was a black and white film but it was meant to be processed in color chemicals, so any photo lab could process it for us. And, it had special properties, it was almost grainless even though it was a 400 speed film. 

This roll must have been taken in the early 2000s, the twilight of film. It was taken at a park in Ontario, CA. I remember it well,you needed to pay an admission to be able to enter the park, but I would park in the parking for the retail establishments right next door and save the $5. Also, in case the park were "raided", I didn't want to be have my car there. Why would it be raided? Because there were disreputable people who would attend those events from time to time, and they attracted attention. I can't say more, and they were few in number, but they were there. 

So, I took photos of this person. I recall she was a student at a local community college, and she must have been in her mid twenties. By now, of course, she is probably 40 years old. Maybe she had not changed much.






These photos must have been taken in late fall or early winter. Love the look of this film, and the model is very beautiful! I feel regret for not having developed the film back then so that I could give her photos. 

These kinds of events still take place, and there are two taking place today, Oct. 10th, 2020. There is a Dia de los Muertos events in one location, and a model event at a ranch in another. There is no way I would attend, however, not during a pandemic. I will return to these events in the future, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment