Thursday, October 22, 2020

The UCR Botanical Garden with my Fuji GW690ii

Today the second and last presidential debate between Joe Biden and DTrump took place. I didn't watch it. I didn't watch the first one either. The sight and sound of Trump is so grating, and the processing of his lies and sheer malice so infuriating, that I can't stand it. So, I started scanning photos.

These were rolls that I picked up last year, developed by the lab in Irvine. These are 120 medium format rolls, and the photos were taken with my 6x9 Fuji GW690ii camera. I am appreciating this camera more and more, and appreciate the beautiful and sharp images I obtain.

After another full and exhausting day of Zoom classes (I hold two of them on Thursdays), I knew I had to do something to relax. I corrected some homework then took a nap, then got up, had dinner and decided to scan. The first image was taken at a garden I can't really remember. The second one is the hill at the UCR botanical garden.


Not sure where this photo was taken. It looks too well manicured and open, so I know it is not the UCR garden. It might be the LA arboretum, from what I recall of their paths. 


This one was taken at the UCR Botanic Garden. I recognize that hill, I want to return and photograph it again and again. I love the wooden steps and the quiet serenity.

I haven't been spending any time on photography these past few days. They are teaching days, and I have so much to do, principally preparing Powerpoint files. I am beyond tired, but it is something I have to do. To teach a Zoom session without a Powerpoint is something I can't imagine.

I want to go to a camera sale tomorrow in Sunland. I found the listing in an estate sale site, and they have many vintage cameras. None of the cameras interest me, they are box cameras, folding cameras and vintage 35mm cameras. They are old, from the 50s and 60s, and I have no interest in them. The only thing I saw which might interest me is boxes of expired 4x5 film, and also, an 8x10 film holder. If only they had an 8x10 camera, but nothing like that was apparent in the photos. I will go, though, because nothing is lost by going, and because if I don't find anything, I can still drop by the San Fernando Mission (which I have never visited), and also, return to Wat Thai temple in north Hollywood. That will give me ample opportunity to take a few photos tomorrow. I am holding out hope for a find at the estate sale, however. My dream: to find an 8x10 camera in working condition for under $200, or even, an 8x10 lens for that price. 



No comments:

Post a Comment