Saturday, October 31, 2020

Last one for "Jalogüín"

 No trico-tri, no kendi. That is what Mexican immigrants who are fed up with Halloween are supposed to have written, and what provokes paroxisms of laughter in Mexican-Americans when they read it. I saw that meme circulating a few years ago, and it stuck in my memory. If a meme sticks, then it is part-way there, and if another person shares it, then it has succeeded in propagating itself. There goes Richard Dawkins.

Well, today in the early afternoon, as noted in my previous entry, I couldn't resist the urge to take the 8x10 WillTravel to Riverside to try to harvest a few more images. No candies for me, I am far too old and I have diabetes, what I look for and have been doing so for over thirty years are images. I wanted to get Mt. Rubidoux, get the cemetery that faces it and also, get the county courthouse building. Well, the sun didn't cooperate, the clouds were blurring it out completely so that it was hot but we also had flat lighting, and there was no point trying to get an image that way. I did go to the courthouse and managed to snap an image there, and also, an image of the Riverside Walkway.

Here is the courthouse image.



What can I say, there are problems. First of all, it is severely vignetted. Also, what happened on the right edge? The first thing I can say is this, I taped a 72mm red filter to the lens, and I knew I shouldn't have done so, it is supposed to vignette this way from what the creator of the camera told me. He devised a filter system so that I could load a Cokin flat filter and get a better effect, but I had to try out my own red 25a filter "just in case" it worked. It didn't. I got the great cloud effects, but, but, but, the vignetting is no good.

Also, I should have walked a little closer. I was using the eyepiece that the creator sent me, and I think the real view should be wider. I need to take that into account the next time I want to use it, say to myself, images appear closer than they really are, to if I want to fill the frame, get closer, get closer. 

Next, the edge on the right. I think it was a darkslide leak, that is the only thing I can surmise. I still am not loading and unloading the film holders correctly, and in this case, I did not even use a tripod, I was hand-holding the camera because, sooner rather than later, that is what I want to do with this camera, use it as a point-n-shoot and not be carrying around a tripod. So, I have to get used to my technique and do a better job loading the film holders.

But other than that, I think I had the right idea for the composition. It could probably be sharper, I know, but I am still learning. So far, I have three images I have developed, and three "in the bag", waiting to be developed. 

Tomorrow I will try to take a few images at the university after I attend a cultural festival.

Oh, and no trick or treaters today. We closed the gates, but I still expected our neighbors to send their children to do a courtesy call on our place, as they always do. This year, no, we got nothing, which is fine, we are in the middle of a pandemic. I fear this will take longer to resolve than we can imagine. The rascal-in-chief was already promising a "cure" on a right-winger's show on right-wing AM radio a few weeks ago, but of course nothing is out there yet. 

Time to go to sleep. I have removed the red filter from the Will Travel and ordered a Cokin filter. I am doing it right the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment