Friday, October 23, 2020

Wat Thai at Coldwater Canyon in North Hollywood

I had to stop off at this location. I was in the San Fernando area as it was, after having attending a camera sale that was a bust for me, and after having gone to Mission San Fernando and having been told it was closed due to county restrictions. Two strikes, I had to have at least one more opportunity and this was it. 

I've been to this temple several times over the years. It is the centerpiece for the Thai community of Los Angeles which, we should say, is essentially theThai community of the United States, because there is no bigger Thai community than the one that exists here. This is, I understand, the biggest expatriate Thai community in the entire world, and Thailand does not have a tradition of sending its citizens outside of their country. Thailand is a country to which others emigrate.

A friend (Steve) took me here a long time ago, in the late 80s (over thirty years ago!). I was amazed at this temple. We went to have some Thai food, and later, would return for the Thai New Year celebrations (Songkran), when they had dance groups and pageants. I started going on my own without my friend because that way I could enjoy it more without being criticized. Steve was a purist and wanted all his friends to be the same way, which is, to only have his form of appreciation. I wanted to see Thai dance and admire the beauty of Thai contestants in the beauty pageants, and he would snicker. So I would go on my own and take photos. (This year there was no Songkran due to Covid.)

It had been a long time since I came here, maybe 10 years. I wanted to just take photos of the temple, and as long as I was in the area, I did. It was a success for me, after having struck out at the camera sale in Sunland and the visit to the San Fernando Mission.

It was a quick visit for me on a gloomy Friday morning. 


I have always struggled to find parking near the temple. That was because, in past visits, I would go during the festival season, when the place was jam-packed, or during a weekend, when there are many, many visitors. Today was Friday and there was no festival, so it was easy. There was a very tame black cat that greeted me. You can see him as a black bulk to the left of the entrance.


To the right is the entrance to the temple. It was an open door, and I did manage to stand next to it. Essentially it is a large bare room with some sort of shrine in front. You are supposed to take off your shoes before you venture in. I didn't because I got an annoyed look from a monk. 


There are these memorial or commemorative shrines throughout the grounds. There are also many tents and stands for food. On a weekend, I understand there is much activity here.


The beautiful façade for the temple. I remember it well oh so long ago when I went, back in the late 80s. Those statues are imposing. 


Closeups. I also photographed them with my 4x5 camera and my Fuji GW690ii.



I would have gone into the temple to see if I could take a few photos but a monk clad in orange robes walked by me as I was loading my camera and gave me an annoyed look. It was unmistakeable and it made me feel unwelcome.  It also seemed very out of character with my experience with Thai people who have always seemed very welcoming to outsiders. I didn't go inside the temple. 

That was it, I took my photos and left. Why the annoyed look? I meant no harm. 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment