Wednesday, October 7, 2020

The Norco Power House

 I picked up a big order of slides from the lab this past Monday, Oct. 5th. They charge $4 per sheet, and I had dropped off 25 sheets, so I had to pay $100. It was a deal for me, but since their equipment is having hangups, I had to wait a few extra weeks. 

This is the Norco Power House in Trump country, the city of Norco. Yes, it is Trump country, a please populated by working-class whites who love to pretend they are still living in the prairies. This is horse country, but I went there to find this landmark. As I wrote before, I really struggled because I couldn't find the access road, but finally I did. You need to walk down a horse trail that is a block away. No signs about access to the Power House, you just figure, this trail leads in that direction, and if you follow it, it does.

This is a slide image. This is only a partial scan, I can't scan full 4x5 images (yet). I love the colors, though. It is like looking through a window at a palpable reality, that is the power of slides.


My photos from inside that building came out also! It is a mess in there, as you can imagine. The dirt floor is littered with glass shards, bent beer cans, stains and droppings of all sorts, as well as wrapper. I felt I needed a Haz-mat suit to enter in there, but I took my chances. I also estimated my exposures. When I scan those I will upload here, but this exterior shot turned out to be easy. The sun was hitting it directly, what more could I want? Well, maybe the sight of a horse and rider walking along the road, but I'll pass. They are probably Trump supporters anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment